LA LIGA after Round 26
Barcelona gained 2 points lead on Real Madrid, while moving three points away from Atletico Madrid.
Points dropped for both Madrid teams was what Barcelona would’ve wanted.
Sevilla couldn’t close in on the ‘top 3’. Sevilla made no progress in this round. They were beaten by Eibar.
Real Sociedad used their narrow win against Levante to move three points from Sevilla.
Huesca is 20th and with 20 points after engaging in a thrilling 7-goal game with Celta Vigo.
It ended in a 4-3 defeat for Huesca.
Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 19 goals
Luis Suarez (Atletico Madrid) – 17 goals
Gerrard Moreno ( Villarreal) – 15 goals
VALENCIA 2-1 VILLARREAL
Goal Scorers – Valencia – Carlos Soler 86′(pen) Goncalo Guedes 90+1′
Goal Scorers – Villarreal – Gerard Moreno 40′
VALLADOLID 2-1 GETAFE
Goal Scorers – Valladolid -Oscar Palano 14′ Shon Weissman 24′
Goal Scorers – Getafe – Jamie Mata
ELCHE 2-1 SEVILLA
Goal Scorers – Elche – Raul Guti 70′ Guido Carrilo 76′
Goal Scorers – Sevilla – Luuk de Jong 90+1′
CADIZ 1-0 EIBAR
Goal Scorers – Cadiz – Alvaro Negredo 40′
OSASUNA 0-2 BARCELONA
Goal Scorers – Barcelona – Jordi Alba 30′ Moriba 83′
HUESCA 3-4 CELTA VIGO
Goal Scorers – Huesca – Dimitris Siovas 14′ Rafaa Mir 16′ David Ferreiro 74′
Goal Scorers – Celta Vigo -Santi Mina 5′ Nolito 37′ Hugo Mallo 52′ Fran Beltran 76′
ATLETICO MADRID 1-1 REAL MADRID
Goal Scorers – Atlético Madrid – Luis Suarez 15′
Goal Scorers – Real Madrid – Karim Benzema 88′
REAL SOCIEDAD 1-0 LEVANTE
Goal Scorers – Real Sociedad – Mikel Merino 10′
ATHLETIC CLUB 2-1 GRANADA
Goal Scorers – Athletic Club – Asier Villalibre 3′ Alex Berenguer 90+2′
Goal Scorers – Granada – Jorge Molina 78′
REAL BETIS 3-2 ALAVES
Goal Scorers – Real Betis – Borja Iglesias 61′(pen) 88′ Joaquin
Goal Scorers – Alaves – Joselu 12′ Edgar Mendez 24′
MADRID DERBY 1-1 ATLETICO MADRID VS REAL MADRID
Since the second half of the 2016/16 La Liga season, it has either been a Real Madrid win or a draw in the Madrid derby. Karim Benzema’s late equalizing goal ensured this trend remained.
Real Madrid picked up a point against Atletico Madrid to open the Spanish La Liga title race.
- Goncalo Guedes scored the final goal of the match to complete the comeback for Valencia at home against Villarreal. Gerard Moreno scored his 15 goal of the season to send Villarreal into the break with a 1-0 lead, which held up till Carlos Soler scored the equalizing goal (also from a penalty) in the 86th minute.
- Getafe’s 3-0 win against Valencia to end a run of 6 games without a win; was followed by defeat against Valladolid. The 2-1 win was also the first in the league in 9 games for Valladolid.
- Relegation threatened Elche were 2-1 winners at home against Sevilla. Three successive defeats in all competitions for Sevilla; with two being league matches.
- Alvaro Negredo scored the only goal of the match to get Cadiz a win against Eibar. Eibar had a goal ruled out by VAR and Marko Dmitrovic missed a penalty in the 57th minute that could have gotten his team even.
- Lionel Messi gave out both assists for Jordi Alba and Ilaix Moriba delivered the goals to get Barcelona a 2-0 win at Osasuna.
- In the opening 24 minutes, Alaves seemed to have found the needed three points to finish the round outside the relegation zone. Real Betis found three goals in the final half hour to avoid defeat at home to Alaves; who were 2 goals up by the 24th minute. Borja Iglesias’s two goals helped Betis to a 3-2 win.