Bayern Munich makes a big statement in the opening round of the German Bundesliga
Opening round Winners
Opening round Losers
Bayern Munich didn’t take long to get back to their rightful position in the league. One round into the season and Bayern is top of the table; 8+ goal difference.
Hertha Berlin, Dortmund, Augsburg, RB Leipzig, Freiburg, and Hoffenheim joined Bayern Munich in the list of teams that came out of the opening round with three points.
FC Köln, Stuttgart, Union Berlin, Mainz, Werder Bremen, Mönchengladbach, and Schalke came out without a point.
Schalke continue their poor form from last season.
Serge Gnabry (Bayern Munich) and Andrej Kramaric (Hoffenheim) lead the scoring list with 3 goals each.
Kramaric’s hattrick was instrumental in Hoffenheim’s victory in the opening round.
- Serge Gnabry contributed three goals as Bayern Munich kicked off their title defense season at home with a 8-0 victory against Schalke.
- Andrej Kramaric’s hattrick allowed Hoffenheim to start their season with three points from a 3-2 away win against FC Koln.
- Arminia Bielefeld took a point from their first match after promotion.
- Augsburg restored their lead to win away against Union Berlin
- Freiburg came close but didn’t get the final goal to get a point at home.
- A comfortable win on the road for Hertha Berlin.
- Erling Haaland scored two for Dortmund to start the season with a 3-0 win against Borussia Monchengladbach.
Bayern Munich 8-0 Schalke
Goal Scorers – Serge Gnabry 4’47’ 59′ Leon Gorezka 19′ Robert Lewandowski 31′(pen) Thomas Muller 69′ Leroy Sane 71′ Jamal Musiala 81′
FC Koln 2-3 Hoffenheim
Goal Scorers – FC Koln – Sebastien Andersson 22′ Dominick Drexler 86′
Goal Scorers – Hoffenheom Andrej Kramaric 90+2′
Frankfurt 1-1 Arminia Bielefeld
Goal Scorers – Frankfurt – Andre Silva 62′
Goal Scorers – Arminia Bielefeld – Cebio Soukou 51′
Union Berlin 1-3 Augsburg
Goal Scorers – Union Berlin – Marius Butler 75′
Goal Scorers – Augsburg – Ruben Vargas 41′ Michael Gregoritsch 82′ Andre Hahn 89′
Stuttgart 2-3 Freiburg
Goal Scorers – Stuttgart – Sasa Kalajdzic 71′ Silas Wamangituka Fundu 81′
Goal Scorers – Freiburg – Nils Petersen 8′ Rolad Sallai 26′ Vincenzo Grifo 48′
Werder Bremen 1-4 Hertha Berlin
Goal Scorers – Werder Bremen – Davie Selke 69′
Goal Scorers – Hertha Berlin – Peter Pekarik 42′ Dodi Lukebakio 45+2′ Matheus Cunha 62′ Jhon Cordoba 90′
Dortmund 3-0 Monchengladbach
Goal Scorers – Dortmund – Giovani Reyna 35′ Erling Braut Haland 54′(pen) 77′
RB Leipzig 3-1 Mainz
Goal Scorers – RB Leipzig – Emil Forsberg 17′ Yussuf Poulsen 21′ Amadou Haidara 51′
Goal Scorers – Mainz – Jean-Philippe Mateta 48′
Wolfsburg 0-0 Leverkusen
Spanish La Liga
Real Madrid could only get a point from their Spanish La Liga season opener.
Granada and Real Betis have a 100% record with no games in hand.
Granada top off the league table after a 2-1 win against Alaves. Goals scored is what separates Granada from Real Betis.
Real Betis scored two early goals to win at home against Real Valladolid.
Alaves have no game in hand and no points picked up.
- Villarreal picked up their first win of the season while handing the first defeat of the season to Eibar.
- Getafe kicked off their season with a win against Osasuna.
- Iago Aspas scored both goals in Celta Vigo’s win against Valencia. Celta Vigo’s first victory and Valencia’s first defeat of the season.
- The newly-promoted sides met, and Cadiz was first to get three points after a win away at Huesca.
- Two wins out of two for Granada. Could be another year they perform above expectation?
- Two wins out of two for Real Betis. Could this be a better season?
- Real Sociedad remain unbeaten and winless after holding Real Madrid to a goalless draw. Madrid will begin their title defense with two points dropped.
Still unbeaten in La Liga
Getafe – a game in hand
Real Madrid – a game in hand
Yet to join the title race.
Villarreal 2-1 Eibar
Goal Scorers – Villarreal – Gerard Moreno 63′ Paco Alcacer 71′
Goal Scorers – Eibar – Kike 50′
Getafe 1-0 Osasuna
Goal Scorers – Getafe – Jaime Mata 54′
Celta Vigo 2-1 Valencia
Goal Scorers – Celta Vigo – Iago Aspas 13′ 57′
Goal Scorers – Valencia – Maxi Gomez 46′
Huesca 0-2 Cadiz
Goal Scorers – Cadiz – Álvaro Negredo 11′ Jorge Pombo 83′
Granada 2-1 Alaves
Goal Scorers – Granada – Roberto Soldado 7′ Darwin Machis 79′
Goal Scorers – Alaves – Joselu 22′
Real Betis 2-0 Real Valladolid
Goal Scorers – Real Betis – Nabil Fekir 10′(pen) William Carvalho 18′
Real Sociedad 0-0 Real Madrid
French Ligue 1
Paris St. Germain start a winning streak in the French Ligue 1
- Saint-Etienne stays top despite dropping points.
- Rennes win against Monaco allowed them to take full advantage of the points dropped by Marseille. Rennes sit behind Marseille because of the difference in goals scored.
- More points dropped as Lyon is held to a goalless draw at home by Nimes.
- Newly-promoted Lens made three wins in their open 4 matches.
- Montpellier lost their opening match and have now won their last three after a 4-1 win.
- Monaco falls behind at Rennes despite being first to get a goal. The 2-1 defeat denied Monaco from getting closer to the top of the standings.
- Paris St. Germain gets three goals and three points on the board at Nice.
- Saint-Etienne was denied a third straight win when Renaud Emond sored an 85th-minute equalizer for Nantes to avoid a home defeat.
- Valere Germain saved Marseille from a home defeat against Lille.
Memphis Depay (Lyon) – 4 goals
Ignatius Ganago (Lens) – 3 goals
Gael Kakuta (Lens) – 3 goals
Romain Hamouma (Saint-Étienne) – 3 goals
Lyon 0-0 Nimes
Lens 2-1 Bordeaux
Goal Scorers – Lens – Ignatius Ganago 47′ Gael Kakuta 59’pen)
Goal Scorers – Bordeaux – Samuel Kalu 90+6′
Rennes 2-1 Monaco
Goal Scorers – Rennes – Steven Nzonzi 81′ Adrien Truffert 90+2′
Goal Scorers – Monaco – Wissam Ben Yedder 28′
Nice 0-3 Paris St. Germain
Goal Scorers – Paris St. Germain – Kylian Mbappe 38′(pen) Angel Di Maria 45+1′ Marquinhos 66′
Brest 3-2 Lorient
Goal Scorers – Brest – Romain Perraud 30′ Steve Mounie 32′ Franck Honorat 62′
Goal Scorers – Lorient – Christophe Herelle 34′(og) Thomas Monconduit 90+2′
Metz 2-1 Reims
Goal Scorers – Metz – Ibrahim Niane 18′ 88′
Goal Scorers – Reims – Boulaye Dia 43′(pen)
Montpellier 4-1 Angers
Goal Scorers – Montpellier – Arnaud Souquet 18′ Andy Delort 43′ 60′ Florent Mollet 86′
Goal Scorers – Angers -Stephane Bahoken 25′
Strasbourg 1-0 Dijon
Goal Scorers – Strasbourg – Stefan Mitrovic 80′
Nantes 2-2 Saint-Etienne
Goal Scorers – Nantes – Moses Simon 71′ Renaud Emond 85;
Goal Scorers – Saint-Etienne – Adil Aouchiche 2′ Yvann Macon 66′
Marseille 1-1 Lille
Goal Scorers – Marseille – Valère Germain 85′
Goal Scorers – Lille – Luiz Araujo 47′
Italian Serie A
Juventus score 3 and picked up 3 points in their first game under Pirlo.
A match in hand
Opening round Losers
Opening round Winners
- The season was kicked-off in Florence, with fiorentina getting a 1-0 win against Torino.
- Gartano Castrovilli scored the first goal of the season; which happened to also be the first winning goal of the season and the only goal of the opening fixture of the season.
- Roma begins the season by leaving points on the floor; a goalless draw against Hellas Verona.
- Napoli takes three points on the road against Parma thanks to second-half goals from Dries Mertens and Lorenzo Insigne.
- Genoa finished the round on top of the league table after beating newly-promoted Crotone by 4 goals to 1.
- Sassuolo and Cagliari got a goal each in the final 10 minutes of regulation time to take a point from the opening round.
- Juventus title defense season kicked off on a good note with 3 unanswered goals against Sampdoria. Andrea Pirlo gets his first win as manager.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s brace gets AC Milan to a winning start after a 2-0 win at the San Siro against Bologna.
Fiorentina 1-0 Torino
Goal Scorers – Fiorentina – Gaetano Castrovilli 78′
Hellas Verona 0-0 Roma
Parma 0-2 Napoli
Goal Scorers – Napoli – Dries Mertens 63′ Lorenzo Insigne 77′
Genoa 4-1 Crotone
Goal Scorers – Genoa – Mattia Destro 6′ Goran Pandev 9′ Davide Zappacosta 34′ Marko Pjaca 75′
Goal Scorers – Crotone – Emmanuel Riviere 28′
Sassuolo 1-1 Cagliari
Goal Scorers – Sassuolo – Mehdo Bourabie 87′
Goal Scorers – Cagliari – Giovanni Simeone 77‘
Juventus 3-0 Sampdoria
Goal Scorers – Juventus – Dejan Kulisevsky 13′ Leonardo Bonucci 78′ Cristiano Ronaldo 88′
AC Milan 2-0 Bologna
Goal Scorers – AC Milan – Zlatan Ibrahimovic 35′ 50′ (pen)
English Premier League
Manchester City joined the title race with a win at Wolves
Perfect season (so far)
Manchester City – game in hand
Aston Villa – game in hand
Far from perfect (so far)
Burnley – a game in hand
Manchester United – a game in hand
West Ham United
West Bromwich Albion
- Everton makes it 2 wins out of two after a 5-3 win at home against newly-promoted West Bromwich Albion. James opened his goalscoring account.
- Leeds were on the right side of a 4-3 score in their second match.
- Crystal Palace stayed 100% after a win at Old Trafford. Manchester United kicked off the season with a 3-1 defeat against Crystal Palace.
- Edward Nketiah scored a late winner for Arsenal to stay perfect.
- Heung-min Son scored four goals in Tottenham’s 5-2 win in Southampton. All four assisted goals were assisted by Kane. It was the first time in Premier League history that one player had assisted another four times in a single match.
- Newcastle are beaten at home. Brighton won their first of the season after a 3-0 victory at the St. James Park.
- Liverpool were 2-0 winners against a 10-man Chelsea side.
- It was Burnley’s first game of the season. And they were first to take the lead when Chris Wood scored in the 10th-minute. But Leicester came from behind to win 4-2 against Burnley; A result that sent the team to the top of the table.
- Ezri Konsa’s goal gave Aston Villa the win against Sheffield United.
- Manchester City gets around Wolves to start the season with a 3-1 road win.
Everton 5-2 West Brom
Goal Scorers – Everton – Dominic Calvert-Lewin 31′ 62′ 66′ James Rodriguez 45′ Michael Keane 54′
Goal Scorers – West Brom – Grady Diangana 10′ Matheuz Pereira 47‘
Leeds 4-3 Fulham
Goal Scorers – Leeds – Helder Costa 5′ 57′ Mateusz Klich 41′(pen) Patrick Bamford 50′
Goal Scorers – Fulham – Aleksandar Mitrovic 34′(pen) 67” Bobby Reid 62′
Manchester United 1-3 Crystal Palace
Goal Scorers – Manchester United – Donny van de Beek 80′
Goal Scorers – Crystal Palace – Andros Townsend 7′ Wilfried Zaha 74′(pen) 85′
Arsenal 2-1 West Ham
Goal Scorers – Arsenal – Alexandre Lacazette 25′ Edward Nketiah 85′
Goal Scorers – West Ham – Michel Antonio 45′
Southampton 2-5 Tottenham
Goal Scorers – Southampton – Danny Ings 32′ 90′(pen)
Goal Scorers – Tottenham – Hueng-Min Son 45+2′ 47′ 64′ 73′ Harry Kane 82′
Newcastle 0-3 Brighton
Goal Scorers – Brighton – Neal Maupay 4′ 7′ Aaron Connolly 83′
Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool
Goal Scorers – Liverpool – Sadio Mane 50′ 54′
Leicester City 4-2 Burnley
Goal Scorers – Leicester City – Harvey Barnes 20′ Erik Pierters 50′(og) James Justin 61′ Dennis Praet 79′
Goal Scorers – Burnley – Chris Wood 10′ Jimmy Dunne 73′
Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United
Goal Scorers – Aston Villa -Ezri Konsa 63′
Wolves 1-3 Manchester City
Goal Scorers – Wolves – Raul Jimenz 78′
Goal Scorers – Manchester City – Kevin De Bruyne 20′ (pen) Phil Foden 32′ Gabriel Jeus 90+5′