Real Madrid’s defeat against Real Betis allowed Barcelona to move back to the top of the league with their victory against Real Sociedad.
After 27 matches played of the 2019/20 Spanish La Liga, Barcelona has a 2-point lead on Real Madrid in what has been a two-horse race.
Lionel Messi (Barcelona) and Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) are the leading the golden boot race in the league.
Lionel Messi – 19 goals
Karim Benzema – 14 goals
Luis Suarez (Barcelona), Gerard Moreno (Villarreal), Roger (Levante), Lucas Perez (Alaves) – 11 goals each.
The top half of the league table with the exception of the top two positions has the same occupants as they did at the start of the round.
Mallorca used a win against Eibar to move closer to the exit of the relegation-zone.
And with Celta Vigo managing to get a draw against Getafe, the gap between the relegation-zone and safety has been narrowed down to a point.
With Mallorca and Leganes ending the round with a win, Espanyol was the only team in the relegation-zone to lose their match.
Alaves 1-1 Valencia
Goal Scorers Alves – Edgar Mendez 73′
Goal Scorers Valencia – Dani Parejo 34′
Eibar 1-2 Mallorca
Goal Scorers Eibar – Pedro Bigas 90+2′
Goal Scorers Mallorca – Daniel Rodriguez 42′ Takefusa Kubo 78′
Atletico Madrid 2-2 Sevilla
Goal Scorers Atletico Madrid – Alvaro Morata 32′(pen) Joao Felix 36′
Goal Scorers Sevilla – Luuk de Jong 19′ Lucas Ocampos 43′(pen)
Barcelona 1-0 Real Sociedad
Goal Scorers Barcelona – Lionel Messi 81′(pen)
Getafe 0-0 Celta Vigo
Osasuna 1-0 Espanyol
Goal Scorers Osasuna – Roberto Torres 51′(pen)
Real Valladolid 1-4 Athletic Club
Goal Scorers Real Valladolid – Sandro Ramírez 76′
Goal Scorers Athletic Club – Unai Lopez 4′ Raul Garcia 24′ Inaki Williams 87′ Inigo Cordoba 90+3′
Levante 1-1 Granada
Goal Scorers Levante – Roger 11′
Goal Scorers Granada – Darwin Machis 60′
Villarreal 1-2 Leganes
Goal Scorers Villarreal – Gerard Moreno 5′
Goal Scorers Leganes – Oscar Rodriguez 47′ 70′(pen)
Real Betis 2-1 Real Madrid
Goal Scorers Real Betis – Sidnei 40′ Cristian Tello 82′
Goal Scorers Real Madrid – Karim Benzema 45+3′(pen)
- Edgar Mendez’s goal in the 73rd-minute for Alaves denied Valencia from a win to help their chase for Champions League football if they are to suffer what looks like an inevitable elimination from the Champions League by Atalanta at the Round of 16 stage.
- Mallorca picked up their first away win at Eibar to cut the gap between the two teams down to 2 points and help their fight to survive the top flight for another year.
- Sevilla does enough in Madrid to stay in the top four and keep Atletico Madrid out of it.
Two first-half goals each for Atletico Madrid and Sevilla.
- Lionel Messi’s goal from the spot in the 81st-minute saw Barcelona avoid dropping points at home against Real Sociedad.
It was a result needed by Barcelona to help recover the points dropped in the El Clasico.
- Getafe is held to a goalless draw at home by Celta Vigo. But with Atletico Madrid’s failure to get the needed win,
Getafe keeps their place in the top four despite the draw.
- Bottom table Espanyol is beaten 1-0 against Osasuna.
- Real Valladolid ended up getting hammered ‘4-1’ at home by Athletic Club.
- Levante and Granada were involved in an evenly contested 1-1 draw.
- Oscar Rodriguez scores two goals in the second half to allow relegation-zoned Leganes to come from an early goal down to win on the road against Villarreal.
The result made it three defeats in a row for Villarreal, while ending Leganes’s winless run at 4 matches.
- Cristian Tello’s 82nd-minute goal knocked Real Madrid from the top of the league table and handed Real Betis a ‘2-1’ home win to end a run of 7 competitive matches without a victory.